Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director, Human Resources is responsible for organizing and administrating all aspects of Human Resource functions for MEI Pharma, Inc. These duties include Recruiting, On-Boarding, Payroll and Benefits Administration, Compensation, Annual Performance Reviews, Employee Training, and Safety Compliance, employee file administration, policies & procedures with all legal compliance. This position interfaces with employees at all levels and the information handled must be accurate and held strictly confidential.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Prepares job descriptions confirms salary data, posts open position notices to relevant online sites, contracts with outside recruiters as needed.
- Screens resumes, identifies appropriate candidates with staff, sets interview schedules.
- Obtains candidate approval, generates offer letters, stock option grants, completes background checks; coordinates onboarding with appropriate departments.
Salary Surveys and Compensation:
- Participates in two local biotech/pharma salary surveys each year.
- Uses data with new-hires as well as current employees during the annual Performance Review cycle.
Annual Performance Reviews (PR):
- Leads & monitors the annual PR cycle, creating all suitable forms, and managing deadlines.
- Suggests salary adjustments based on survey data, implements approved discretionary merit and bonus increases, recognizes promotion salary increases, enters all changes into the payroll system.
- Creates employee letters that reflect all changes along with any PR stock option grants.
- Creates a working spreadsheet for each bi-monthly payroll with all employee changes.
- Reviews timesheets & PTO for accuracy and enters into the payroll system.
- Provides month-end PTO accrual spreadsheets to match ADP employee summaries for Finance.
o Medical Insurance, H S A, 401k
o Conducts new hire orientation on benefit programs ensuring smooth enrollment by employee on all benefits’ providers' websites.
- Works with Third Party Benefits Administrator on annual benefits renewal. Arranges for annual employee benefits meetings and 401(k) as needed.
- Participates in annual 401k due diligence meeting with Third Party Administrator.
- Responsible for all preliminary 401k plan testing (NDT) and medical POP.
o When appropriate, HR provides training on the following topics throughout the year: Safety, Performance Reviews, Benefits Updates, Changing Laws, or Workplace Trends.
- Provides employee safety training as needed with employee signoffs as required.
- Schedules professional appointments for each employee’s worksite to ensure ergonomic compliance.
- Annual OSHA Accident Notice Postings, Work Comp policy renewal/audit details.
File Management & HR Legal Compliance:
- Maintains all employee files/records following HR best practices’ compliance
- Stays current on HR policies and procedures as well as legal compliance and fulfillment of HR CE units for PHR/SPHR certification.
- Interprets and explains Company policies and procedures to employees as well as HR-related federal, state, and local laws, standards, and regulations as needed.
- Reviews MEI Company Handbook on a regular basis – adding any policy/procedure changes as needed.
- Works to integrate new hires into MEI’s corporate culture.
- Counsel/coach employees regarding performance management, facilitation of complaints through to resolution, possible termination in line with business, and legal compliance.
- Emphasizes enhanced employee retention to maximize/maintain close working relationships across all departments to preserve company resources to exceed corporate goals.
Job Requirements and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or equivalent with 8+ years of experience in the biotech/pharma industry - preferably in a start-up or smaller company environment.
- Human Resources Certification - PHR/SPHR preferred.
- Finance/payroll experience – with exempt and non-exempt employees.
- Knowledge of Federal, state, and local employment laws.
- Strong analytical skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use good judgment in sensitive situations and maintain confidentiality.
- Commitment to excellent customer service.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time, handling, feeling with hands, reaching with arms.
- Regular communication (hearing/speaking).
- Lifting up to 25 lbs.
- Routine office duties including computer keyboard use.
- Vision requirements include close vision and ability to focus.
- Noise conditions range from quiet to moderate.
Job Type: Full-time